Govt. College for Women (Autonomous), Kumbakonam, India

Welcome

WOWSlider generated by WOWSlider.com
11 42 63 84 95 126 137 148 159 1610 1711 1812


Welcome to Govt. College for Women (Autonomous), Kumbakonam.

Dr.A.JOHN MERINA M.Sc., M.Phil., B.Ed., Ph.D., PGDCA
Principal

View Principal's Message
View Principal's Profile


About...

Kumbakonam, famously known as "Temple City" is one of the special grade Municipal Towns of Tamil Nadu, is the second bigger town in Thanjavur District. It is situated 10o 57" north latitude and 79o 28' Longitude. It is located about 313 Kilometres away from madras on the south, about 90Kms. from Tiruchy on the east and about 40kms from Thanjavur on the North East. The town is bounded by two rivers - " River Cauvery" on the north and "River Arasalar" on the south.
Further, Kumbakonam is a well known city for quality education. One among the colleges which provides high quality educations is " Govt. College for Women (Autonomous)" which is affiliated to Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli.

Spiritually known as 'Bhaskara Kshetra', the temple town Kumbakonam is known for its fertile soil and mind. Many intellectual giants like Srinivasa Ramanujan hailed from this town. On the banks of river Arasalar, an educational institution as the second Government College exclusively for Women in the entire State of Tamil Nadu was set up in the year 1963. Smt. R. Radha, MA. L.T., M.A (Aligarh University), an eminent educationalist with a vast administrative exposure took up the reins as the first Principal of the College. During the formative years, Pre-University Course and Under Graduate Courses in Geography and History were stared in the historical site known as "Aranmanai Chathiram" on the western bank of Mahamaham Tank. In the year 1966, the then Hon' ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Thiru. M. Bhakthavatsalam laid the foundation stone for the New Building on the banks of river Arasalar. The new building was inaugurated by the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Dr.C.N Annadurai on July 28, 1967. Under Graduate Programmes in Mathematics, Chemistry and Economics were introduced in the year 1968-1969. Two more Under Graduate Courses in Zoology and English were introduced in the subsequent year. Further, in the year 1983-84, Under Graduate programmes in Physics, Commerce and Tamil were introduced. The prestigious Post Graduate Course in Geography was started during the academic year 1986-87.

Under Graduate Course in Computer Science was introduced in 1991 and the College was one of the first few Government Colleges to have introduced this Programme. In the academic year 2003-2004, Post Graduate Courses in Commerce, Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics were started on self financing basis. The Centre for Nonlinear Science, a miniature research institute sponsored by Department of Science and Technology (DST) was established and accorded special permission to admit Ph.D. candidates under the guidance of Dr. R. Radha, Associate Professor of Physics in 2005-2006. Post Graduate Courses in Economics, English, Chemistry and History were also introduced in the year 2005-2006 on self financing basis. The above Eight Post Graduate courses were converted into regular courses from the year 2006-2007 onwards. Due to the ever increasing number of applicants and desirability for maximum utilization of the infrastructure available, shift system was introduced as per the orders issued by the Government. Under Graduate courses in Commerce, Computer Science, Tamil, English and History were introduced in Shift II between the years 2006 and 2008. In the academic year 2009-2010, M.Phil Programme in Chemistry was offered. Ph.D. Programmes were introduced in the Departments of Chemistry, English, Zoology and Tamil in the year 2012-2013. Post Graduate programme in Zoology was started in the year 2012-2013.

NAAC Peer Team visited the College in the year 1999 - 2000 and awarded a 3 star status. The College was subsequently reaccredited with 'B' level in the year 2005 - 2006. The College was conferred "Autonomy" on 9th February 2007. Implementation of Autonomy has given greater freedom to bring about radical changes in the academic structure. The Autonomous status has also helped the College to introduce several innovative courses.

At present, the College offers 11 Under Graduate programmes and 10 Post Graduate programmes under Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). The impressive number of University rank holders in every academic year is an ample proof of the growing academic reputation of the institution. Admission of students to various courses is governed strictly by the norms of the State Government following the reservation policy, thereby ensuring social justice.

The grant of Autonomy and the resources mobilized from University Grants Commission have helped in organizing several workshops and seminars. In this connection, experts are invited to deliver lectures in the field of their specialization. This has motivated the students to pursue research programme in their respective areas. The establishment of 50 various Committees helps in coordinating several curricular, co-curricular and extra curricular activities and the smooth functioning of the institution. Several value based co-curricular activities like Youth Red Cross, Environmental Studies, National Service Scheme, Population Studies and extension programmes like Rotaract and Leo Clubs are also being undertaken by the students. These Programmes help in inculcating a desirable value system in them. The College has been in the service of students community for over half-a-century and is now gearing up for its Golden Jubilee celebration.

Govt. College for Women in Google Maps


View Larger Map